Tuesday 21 April 2015

James Ravilious- Photographer

The reason why I have chosen to be influenced by the photographer 'James Ravilious' is because all his photography work shows an element of depth in a rural location. The idea of using depth in his photographs allows the aspect of scale to be enhanced and the landscape to be seen from a different perspective. He also has all his photographs edited in black and white this makes the photographs very vintage looking and creates a more interesting image to look at. Furthermore the use of animals and workers in the photographers makes the location more exciting and brings realistic idea to the landscapes. James Ravilious inspires my own work and my photographs will be showing aspects of his works to show the link between my work and his and how my work was thought throughout before taking them.

 This photograph was taken by the photographer James Ravilious and the aspect of scale is being shown in this landscape. The interesting part of this photograph is the use of shadows from the tree's this is because it allows the photograph to light up and look stunning to look at. It also makes the landscape look very realistic and the trees the main focus of the photograph. The idea of depth is also slightly shown in this photograph this is because the depth of the landscape behind the trees slowly gets narrower where its further away. This allows the aspect of scale to be shown and makes the background behind the tree's intriguing to look at. Furthermore the use of black and white allows the tree's to look like silhouette's which makes them look very bold and isolated from the hidden beauty of the landscape behind them.

This photograph was taken by the photographer James Ravilious and this photograph is very inspirational for me as this is something that I would like to re create in my own photography work for the centre of a multiple imagery shoot. The  idea of photographing a large tree that the branches are very interesting and randomly grown shows the aspect of nature in a landscape. Furthermore the idea of only capturing the tree in the photograph shows no distractions which makes this photograph very bold to look at. The angle that this photograph has been taken at is slightly low angle to enhance the height of the tree and make it look very overpowering and dominating. In addition by also having this photograph edited in black and white brings out the tones in the tree where the shadows are the colours are seen darker which makes this tree more three dimensional and as if its spiralling out towards the viewer.

This photograph was taken by the photographer James Ravilious and is very different to the two photographs I am inspired by above. This is because this landscape also includes man made roads and a sign which shows the contrast between nature and man made. The sign is almost the divide between man made and nature as it is in-between both. This photograph also shows the idea of depth of the road as James as angled this photograph to a low postion which allows the road to stretch out and converge inwards as it gets further away from the camera lens. This photograph is also edited in black and white and this brings out the dark and light tones in every aspect of the photograph giving it a three dimensional feel to it and makes the photograph more eye catching to look at. The idea of black and white will be something I will be influenced by and show in my photography work. As well as the contrast between man made and nature in a landscape.

This photograph was taken by the photographer James Ravilious and was taken from a high angle to allow the depth of the whole of the landscape to be seen. I really like the idea of the rural houses and the dog being shown in this photograph. This is because it makes the scale of the landscape more interesting to look at and shows the country side as a peaceful and pretty place to live. The use of the black and white photograph also creates a peaceful atmosphere and brings out the different tones in the photograph to make the landscape stand out more. Furthermore I also like how the shadows of the tree's are shown this makes the fields in the landscape draw the eye in more and makes the overall scale look stunning. Lastly the misty landscape in the corner of the photograph also enhances the aspect of scale in this landscape and makes the whole photograph look endless.

The photographer James Ravilious influences my own photography work this is because the use of black and white will be something that I will use in my photographs to enhance the tones, textures and boldness of the landscapes I photograph. Furthermore another aspect of his overall work that will influence me will be the angles that enhance the depth of the photograph as it builds the affect of enhancing the the aspect of scale in the landscape. Lastly the locations that he has chosen to photograph  for example showing the contrast of man made and nature as well as the rural locations will be shoots that I will do to show the inspiration that I gained from James Ravilious.

Overall to summarise my thoughts on James Ravilious's photography work he gave me a lot of influences that can make my own photography more complex and detailed to create a stunning picture. His work is very narrow and all his work are photographs of the scale of landscapes which is my starting point this allows me to gain more ideas for this aspect and develop my starting point with his ideas that are shown in his work. My favourite photograph that James has photographed is the third photograph I analysed this is because it shows the idea of depth extremely well and the contrast between nature and man made interests me. I have really enjoyed looking further into James' work and the inspiration I have gained will be shown in my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment